On February 12, 1913, representatives from five Bay Area towns gathered in Panama City to decide on a name for the proposed new county. After much deliberation, they chose the name Bahia, as it was satisfactory for most citizens and distinctive of the territory that would be included. Subsequently, on July 1, 1913, the Legislature created Bay County from parts of Washington, Calhoun, and Walton counties. To commemorate this momentous occasion, a celebration was held in City Park (now known as McKenzie Park) with attendees bringing picnic baskets and city-provided grilled meats.
Other attractions included music, boat races, and baseball and swimming games. The Bay County Public Information Office is responsible for producing a variety of publications, maintaining media relations, and overseeing other special projects. Lynn Haven and Bay County elementary and high schools provide high-level, lifelong educational opportunities to residents of Northwest Florida. The outer walls of the Bay County Courthouse survived the destruction caused by a hurricane in 1915. The building was subsequently rebuilt and continues to serve its purpose to this day.
This has resulted in about 27,000 people leaving Bay County due to lack of employment opportunities. The Bay County Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining, preserving, and protecting the County's infrastructure resources in the most efficient and effective manner possible. In 1997, Margaret (now 77) visited the property that had once belonged to her mother and shared her memories of life in early Bay County. The Bay Area has a strong military influence which has helped create a large number of skilled and experienced individuals who choose to make Bay County their home after leaving the military.
The Bay County Animal Shelter provides information about animal control ordinances and other animal services. Find out more about these services here.